Did you know that cribs were not developed until the 19th century? Bassinets were available long before that, but many believed these were dangerous to infants, as they were designed to keep children low to the ground. As a result, cribs, which are meant to keep infants high above the ground, were developed. While there are many standard cribs available, some believe that they produce toxins that are harmful to the health of infants. Organic cribs, on the other hand, are designed to keep all damaging poisons away from your baby.
Organic cribs are made with wood that has not been treated with artificial products. The plywood used in many standard cribs, however, has a VOC-heavy finish that contains formaldehyde. This compound is highly toxic to anyone who ingests it, so a baby who breathes the fumes in every night can be at a higher risk for complications. Organic cribs, however, never use wood with such dangerous finishes. The wood you choose for the crib must always be hardwood, and it must also be sustainable. By eliminating all artificial products from the wood, it will not contain the toxins that many other cribs have.
Organic mattresses, blankets, and sheets are also available for your baby. These materials generally come in either cotton, foam, or wool. Some organic bedding is fire resistant, which helps keep your child safe, and some is even water resistant, which can help keep your child more comfortable. Organic bedding is even more friendly to the environment than standard bedding, as less resources are needed to make it. Since these organic linens are made naturally, your baby will not be exposed to artificial bedding that often carries toxins.
Many people are choosing to go green, and more parents are electing to provide their children with organic cribs. In order for a crib to be completely organic, the wood, mattress, and bedding must all be made naturally and contain no harmful, artificial products. By providing your children with the most natural products available, you will not have to worry about dangerous chemicals being around them while they sleep.